Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Baudot- Introduction to Class

Lauren Baudot 
This is my first, introductory post for the course. My name is Lauren Baudot, and I am going to be a senior at Loyola as of this coming fall semester. I am a Philosophy Pre-Law and English Literature double major, and, after graduation, I hope to attend law school in Louisiana to eventually become an immigration or patent attorney. I am a member of Sigma Tau Delta, and literature is one of my passions. I am 20 years old, a native of New Orleans, and this is my second online, English class through Loyola. This past June, I did the Loyola study abroad program in Italy. I have a great interest in studying, working hard, making time for family and friends, and staying up-to-date on politics and current news. In addition to these interests, studying history is not something that I normally gravitate towards, but the history behind the Holocaust intrigues me. (This is despite the fact that my knowledge of the period and series of events is not, by any means, the best.) Through taking the course, I hope to gain a greater knowledge of this history and major world event and to gain a greater appreciation for the magnitude and affect it had on the world and its people. I'm sure we all know the role of Adolf Hitler, the Nazis, the Allied Powers, and the Jewish victims, but, more critically, I have never spent time studying how the persecution and slaughter of the Jewish is portrayed, even in modern films regarding the Holocaust. I hope to have a greater understanding of the suffering and devastation that was brought about by this mass persecution, and hopefully this will be seen in the films we see and the texts we read. I am looking forward to this 8 week course and the interaction and discussions on this blog!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren, Remember, we are also going to look at other examples of genocide during the eight weeks of the course. Also take note of Soviet Story, a film about Stalin's genocide in the Ukraine. Welcome to the course.
    MM

    ReplyDelete